HORNSBY BEND, TEXAS
. Hornsby Bend, also known as
Hornsby or Hornsby's, is on Farm Road 969 and the Colorado River, nine
miles east of Austin in eastern Travis County. It was named for Reuben Hornsby
, who settled there in 1832 and served as postmaster during the Republic of Texas
era. The community has been called the oldest settlement in Travis
County. A United States post office was established at Hornsby Bend in
1856, but it was discontinued during the Civil War
and not reopened until 1886. The community had two general stores in
1892. Its post office was discontinued in 1901, and mail for Hornsby
Bend was sent to Austin. In 1905 the Hornsby Bend schools combined with
those of Dunlap to form the Hornsby-Dunlap common school district. The
Hornsby-Dunlap district was annexed to the Del Valle Independent School
District in 1967. The population of Hornsby Bend was reported as ten in
the 1930s and 1940s and as twenty from the 1950s through 2000.
Mary Starr Barkley, History of Travis County and Austin, 1839–1899 (Waco: Texian Press, 1963). John J. Germann and Myron Janzen, Texas Post Offices by County (1986).